Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A great idea...sort of

I had this great brand-building idea, and I wanted to share it with my readers.  Because I care.  And also because I think it's a funny story.

Here's what it was: I figured I'd go find a book that nobody had reviewed (that was free 'cause I'm cheap) and then I'd read it and write a review of it.  And I'd do it a couple of times, and then eventually when I had a book out, they'd return the favor.  Good idea, huh?

So the first book I got (that was free 'cause I'm cheap) didn't look too promising, but I figured I'd give it a shot.  It was supposed to be some kind of high fantasy story, and it was the first one of a series.  Unfortunately, it was written in orcish or some similar dialect, because it was nigh-unreadable.

Undeterred, I pulled down a second book.  Two words: animal erotica.  No, thank you.

Then I went to the third book.  This was a modern-day sci-fi thriller featuring aliens who walk among us and have special powers.  So far, so good.  I got through three chapters, which meant I met three different main characters.  And it was in British English, so every third word was misspelled, which is not one of my favourite things, if you know what I mean.

I still think this is a good idea, it's just clear that a lot of that unreviewed stuff is a little dicey.  Or at least, my brief perusal of it seemed to indicate that it was.

I plan to keep after this, though, until I turn up a gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment