Saturday, April 5, 2014

Open wallet, insert foot

Whew!  Searching for reviewers is exhausting, bewildering, and terrifying all at the same time.

Let me get this out of the way first: I really don't think you ought to be paying for a review.  So Blue Ink, Kirkus, PW, etc. all get tossed right out the gate.  Yes, there are arguments to be made that you should pay for reviews.  But most of them come from people who wish to be paid for reviews.

But it's also pretty clear that getting a review is tough.  Unless you've written a super-popular bestseller final book of a trilogy (I'm looking at you, Divergent), in which case, everybody will review it.  If you want to succeed as an author, though, that really ought not dissuade you. 

I read a great article on 21 reasons to self publish, which I really needed to buck up my spirits.  Great stuff, great information, and two things really resonated with me: the need to be a professional, and the whole thing about team publishing.

That's exactly why Switch is with an editor, and it's exactly why I hired somebody else to do the cover, and it's exactly why I'm searching for a cartoon avatar (which is not going well) and it's exactly why I'm searching for somebody to do web banner design so I'm not crutching off of the most basic, bland web page ever.  What you can't do, you go hire. 

Nobody'd go fix their engine or rewire their house unless they had those skills; why would you suddenly think that you should do those kind of things on your book?

No comments:

Post a Comment