Monday, April 28, 2014

Hacking and Cutting

I'm about 2/3 of the way through my rewrite on Switch, and so far I've managed to cut about 10,000 words.  Which is not a lot.  But I'm into the section of the story where I knew there was some fat, because as I wrote it, I felt like I was padding here.  So I'm hopeful that there are another 10,000 words remaining.  Unfortunately, that's about a third of what's there, so I find it unlikely that I'll be missing anything.

I've already cut whole characters and scenes to tighten up the story. If I want to cut more out, I'll probably have to excise some plot threads.  It's not easy.  Writing is rewriting, though, and if I want a good story on the other side this is what I have to do.

It's unpleasant, though.  Now I really know why it's called "killing your babies."

No comments:

Post a Comment