Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Writing is exhausting

For me it is, at least.  I have a day job, and it's no cakewalk, but it's not too bad.  It's not physical, either, but rather mostly mental.  I'm capable of dealing with it, and then coming home and dealing with my family, and then going to bed.  No big deal.

When I throw writing in there, though, I start going to bed exhausted.  The constant mental focus on what word goes where, and what each character says and how they say it, and the on-point mentality needed to examine every turn of phrase and every punctuation point starts to wear me out. 

Last night I was totally wiped out and slept like a log, even snoring enough that it disturbed my poor, long-suffering wife. 

I guess I could down a whole bunch of energy drinks, but then the characters would start racing around and acting like hyper two-year-olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment