Sunday, April 20, 2014

All Work and No Play

Would make Colin a dull boy.  I've been working a lot on writing the last few weeks - finishing Gob Squad and outlining and other stuff.  And while I wouldn't say I've been neglecting my familial obligations, it's for sure that we've not been doing as much stuff together as normal.  But this is Easter Weekend (happy Easter, by the way), and I was determined to do something fun.  So I asked myself: what would that be?

POTATO CANNON!

Have you ever seen one of these things?  I had.  And after a quick search on the internet, I was ready to build one.  I love working in PVC anyways - it's my favorite medium after words - and I knew exactly where to get everything in the hardware store necessary to slap this together.  Once I told my son the name of the project, I had a ready and engaged assistant to get this thing put together.

Let me tell you this: firing one of these is a blast.  A whiff of hairspray, a pop from the igniter, and you get to see a spud spiraling majestically over the horizon.

I also discovered that I'm allergic to raw potatoes.  I actually knew this, but I forgot it right up until my eyes swelled up and started itching after loading and firing a few spuds.  Argh!  It was horrible.  I had to take a Benadryl, which knocked me out for the rest of the day.  But it was totally worth it!  And so fun that we went out shooting it both Saturday and today, along with a fireworks show just for good measure.

On the way to our adventure, I happened to be just shooting the breeze with the children, and then all of a sudden I came up with a story idea, too.  So a fun adventure and some work, too.  Boo-yah! 

It's important to mix stuff like this together in your life - you can't just sit and try to write and imagine you'll be able to come up with anything interesting to read.  You gotta go live a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment