Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Nearing the end...for now

I'm nearing the end of Gob Squad.  Or at least, I'm nearing the end of the first draft.  And it's a weird story, too, since I wrote half, left it sit for a while (over a year), came back, polished the first half, and then wrote the second half.  So it needs a pretty thorough rewrite for continuity.

The whole thing started out as a dark, gritty fantasy novel.  But once I started writing it, somehow these funny bits kept popping into my mind, which I worked into the story.  And lo and behold, it became a comedic work.  And then since that wasn't enough, it started to turn itself into kind of a satire of high fantasy (which I thoroughly enjoy). 

So now it's gone from dark fantasy to humorous (I hope) satire.  I'm not sure it works - satire is hard to write - but I'm nearing the end of it.  That's the point at which I put it away for a few weeks, outline some other stuff, and then pull it back out and rewrite it.

I guesstimate that I have about 5k words left, maybe less, before it's all finished and done.  But we'll see.  Perhaps there's more adventure left there than I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment