Saturday, April 12, 2014

Inspiration is weird

I will never understand how inspiration works.  I was flipping around the internet, reading one of those stupid list sites (top 10 films that are terrible, top 15 things you didn't know about The Incredibles, that sort of thing).  And there was a picture on one of the lists that I saw, that looked kind of goofy, of a metal face mask with these weird goggles on it.

And then something clicked in my brain.  Despite the fact that my stomach is roiling and I feel terrible, I popped open my outline and jammed another six bullet points and advanced the story through the middle third.  Wow!  All from a goofy picture that I happened to see on accident.  And the outline had nothing to do with the picture itself -it gave me an idea, which spurred another idea, from which I got a whole chunk of story formed in my mind. 

You can't force these things.  They just have to come.  No wonder writers are suicidal...

No comments:

Post a Comment