Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fighting Distraction

In the post yesterday I mentioned that once Gob Squad is done (which it's not) I'll put it away and then do some outlining and fleshing out of other works.  One thing I struggle with is that ideas are pretty continuous, and they will often seem freshest and most original when I'm in the middle of something else.  For instance, I had the idea for Gob Squad in the middle of Switch, which is a YA Sci-Fi novel.  Other than both being in English, they have nothing else in common.

This happens to me all the time - I'll be writing one thing, and some other idea pops up so clear and important that it starts to crowd out my mental space and makes it hard to bear down and finish the first thing I was working on.  But nobody wants to read half-written books!

Okay, some people read half-written Tolkein, but that's like already 243,000 words.  I mean half-written works by people like me.

At any rate, I wonder if other writers struggle with that problem?  I get the impression mental blocks - where nothing at all will come - are far more common.  Fortunately I never suffer from that.  I might have problems with idea quality, but never quantity!

No comments:

Post a Comment