Saturday, April 26, 2014

Flash Fiction

A few brief thoughts on flash fiction, mostly because I'm dodging working on Switch so that I can avoid having to make hard choices and cut my beloved story down.

I was introduced to Flash Fiction a few years ago, and when I first heard about it I got all excited because it felt like a great way to crank out stuff in short time, and if there was a market for it you could therefore just pump out a tremendous amount of work with no effort.  I gave it a shot.

I am an epic failure at Flash Fiction.  Turns out I can't say anything in less than about a thousand words (as this post so adequately demonstrates), and I have no skill to develop a complete story that's not nonsense that fits into 500 words or less. 

This is also why my Twitter feed is all post repeats - 140 characters is right out for me.  I admire anybody who can be coherent in either format.  I can only do things in long-form essays or fiction, which is why Switch needs to be cut down.  I have a tendency to overdevelop!

Yes, it does not escape me that I am discussing how bad I am at Flash Fiction in a post that is almost as long as a typical flash fiction story.  Irony is one of my strong suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment